Diploma of College Studies in Contemporary Dance
The Diploma of College Studies (DEC) in Contemporary Dance (561.BB) is a technical training program offered on a higher educational level. This program will enable you to take your artistic and physical potential to the next level so that, by the time you graduate, you have all the tools you need to start your career as a professional dance artist.
This program is for you…
- If movement is a way for you to express yourself, especially contemporary dance.
- If you dream to become a professional dancer.
- If you wish to pursuit a career in performing arts.
- If you wish satisfy your passion for dance before completing your university degree.
- If you have a strong background in dance.
- If you are in good physical shape.
What you need to know about our "DEC technique Danse-Interprétation"
The "DEC technique Danse-interprétation" (561.BB) is composed of both a technical contemporary dance training and a general training. It starts in early August and lasts until May.
With the "DEC technique Danse-Interprétation", you will develop the ability to physically embody the emotions and intentions associated with contemporary choreographic languages.
On top of a demanding training and of daily technical classes, you will come to understand the role of the professional dancer in all of its ramifications : choreography, creation and interpretation.
In the third and final year, you will get to put into practice all of your key learnings with the final year project. Through an integrative project, dance students work with renowned artists who create original works for them. Ultimately, they produce and present a professional-level performance that showcases their talents. Students also develop the foundations of sound project management, with support and guidance from the entire L’EDQ team.
Students receive approximately 25 hours of classes each week - most of which are practical - at L'École de danse de Québec's premises.
The general training comprises the classes that all students enrolled in a college training in Québec are required to take. These classes are taught at the Cégep de Sainte-Foy. The weekly schedule takes into account the time it takes for the transfers between L'École de danse de Québec and the Cégep de Sainte Foy's premises - which can easily be made by bus.
The perks of studying at L'EDQ
Your development is L'EDQ's prime concern. Our training program in contemporary dance has been conceived so that you can reach your full potential and be ready to enter the world of professional dancers by the time you graduate. By choosing L'EDQ, you :
- Increase your versatility since you will get to work with several experienced and emerging artists with diverse choreographic signatures.
Reveal how expressive your body can be thanks to the most up-to-date methods in teaching dance such as the somatic movement approach, yoga, pilates, Feldenkrais and Franklin®'s methods...
- Engage in a sane and safe practice of contemporary dance thanks to the emphasis we put on training, bio-mecanical knowledge and preventing/handling injuries through personal coaching .
- Interact with the milieu right from the start by coming across experienced dancers and choreographers on a daily basis and by taking part in projects borne by professional dancers and choreographers.
- Will perform on stage multiple times each year in new or existing creations.
- Broaden your horizons by being part of international dance creations or multidisciplinary creations with other art schools (circus, acting...).
- Benefit from the synergies within the Groupe Danse Partout inc. (which comprises L'École de danse de Québec, la Maison pour la danse, La Rotonde) : discounted tickets, more opportunities as a young choreographer, etc.
- Forge meaningful and lasting relationships thanks to the friendly and trustful atmosphere we are building in the school.
- Practice dance in inspiring premises : our studios are spacious, filled with light and up to professional standards.
- Experience living in lovely Québec, a buzzing city filled with culture, history and nature.
Admission criteria and process
In order to get in the "DEC technique Danse Interprétation", you must meet the following criteria :
- Meet the Cégep's admission criteria :
- Have a DES (secondary studies diploma), or
- Have a DEP (vocational studies diploma)*, or
- Have a diploma deemed equivalent by the Cégep, or
- Have a training and an experience deemed sufficient by the Cégep. In this case, the candidate should have interrupted his/her full time studies for at least 36 months (combined).
- *Those who have a DEP must have passed their first and second language in secondary 5 and their maths in secondary 4.
- Take part in the live virtual auditions and be offered to join the program;
- For international students, perform all the administrative duties required to attend college in Québec.
To find out more about our tuition fees, please visit the dedicated section on the Cégep de Sainte-Foy's website.
Please note that annual costs for clothing, school supplies and cultural activities amount to approximately 500$.
Student for a day
See for yourself what awaits you at L'École de danse de Québec thanks to our "Student for a day program" !
By taking part in it, you'll see what it's like to be a student in our Professional program during a day or half a day. You'll be given the opportunity to observe and even participate in certain classes, meet both students and professors, visit our studios... This is a great opportunity for you to ask all the questions you may have and make sure it is the right program for you!
Please note that the Cégep de Sainte-Foy also organizes an Open day on November 18th, 2019!
Need more information?
418 649-4715 #235 email@example.com